Whether you are swimming in fresh or saltwater, being able to see in the water is imperative and swimming goggles are the most important piece of gear you will need. Goggles not only prevent your eyes from becoming red and irritated from the chlorine or the saltwater, but they also allow you to see other swimmers, the backstroke flags and the wall in a pool, or the buoys or obstacles in open water.
If you have poor eyesight and require corrective lenses to see clearly on land, prescription swimming goggles are the answer to being able to see clearly in the water. Gone are the days of having to wear contact lenses underneath your swimming goggles and worrying they might fall out.
Today, there are a variety of prescription swimming goggles on the market made by various brands that allow you to see clearly in the water. I have tried and tested these goggles in both the pool and open water and here is a list of my top picks for the best prescription swimming goggles out there.
Prescription swimming goggles help you to see clearly in the water.
Choosing the Right Pair of Prescription Swimming Goggles
Choosing the right pair of prescription swimming goggles is as important as selecting the right pair of glasses as you want to be able to see clearly when in the water.
Prescription goggles have ready-made spherical lenses known as diopters or step diopters, which are available in varying strengths. These lens types are similar to the generic reading glasses found in pharmacies – the prescription will be a close but not a perfect match to the contact lenses or glasses you may use every day.
These types of step diopter prescription lenses are perfectly adequate for use in the water, which is already a blurry environment as they are more widely available and affordable than custom-made prescription goggles from an optometrist.
Prescription swimming goggles are available for both near-and far-sighted swimmers.
Lens Types for Prescription Swimming Goggles
There are two types of diopter lenses available in prescription swimming goggles – negative diopter lenses and positive diopter lenses. Negative diopter lenses are intended for those with nearsighted or myopic vision and are the most commonly available prescription swimming goggles.
Negative diopter lenses range in diopters from -1.5 to -10.0 and are available in increments of 0.5. Positive diopter lenses are for farsighted swimmers and are less common.
When it comes to choosing the correct diopter lens, simply find the one that has a prescription closest to your own and round down — rather than up — to the prescription that most closely matches your own. This places less strain on your eyes.
Mirrored goggles prevent glare from the sun.
Brands and Model Types of Prescription Swimming Goggles
Prescription swimming goggles are available in a wide variety of brands, styles, and models from sleek, hydrodynamic “racing” goggles to larger open water-style goggles with wider peripheral vision.
Some brands like Sporti™ offer bifocal goggles where just the lower half of the lens is set to a certain prescription, while others like Aqua Sphere™ offer separate prescription lenses that can be inserted into specific goggle models. These are a good option if you have significantly different prescriptions for each eye.
Once you have decided on the right pair of prescription swimming goggles and are using them for the first time, it may take a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the new lens, but after a short adjustment period, you will become used to them and be able to swim with relatively clear vision.
Wide-angle goggles allow for better peripheral vision.
Best Prescription Swimming Goggles
Here are some of the best prescription swimming goggles on the market today for near-sighted, myopic, and far-sighted swimmers.
Zionor G7 Optical Swimming Goggles – Best Overall Prescription Swimming Goggles
Zionor may not be a well-known swimming brand, but when it comes to prescription swimming goggles, they are at the top of the market. Ideal for the recreational swimmer, Zionor G7 Optical Swimming Goggles are corrective swim goggles are made of hypoallergenic silicone with tinted lenses that are great for outdoor and open water swimming.
The lenses have an anti-fog layer and UV protection that cuts down on glare and are available in various prescription strengths from -2.0 to -7.0 diopters. You also have a choice of smoke or tinted lenses.
- The flexible frame design reduces water resistance
- Soft silicone around the eye sockets offer cushioning around the eye and a leak-proof fit
- The unique nose gasket provides an excellent seal around the eyes
- Enhanced, impact-resistance lenses offer excellent durability
- Anti-fog, UVA, and UVB protection coating
- They are available in various prescription strengths from -2.0 to -7.0 diopters
- They do not come with changeable nose pieces
- The lenses are only available in one color
Speedo Vanquisher Prescription Goggles – Best Prescription Swimming Goggles for Training
Speedo Vanquisher Prescription Goggles are comfortable, stylish, and durable and are available in both adult and children’s sizes. These prescription swimming goggles have mirrored lenses designed to reduce glare and maximize visibility in the water with extra peripheral vision.
They come with four different nose pieces to ensure you get the perfect fit and they are made from hardened polycarbonate, making them shatterproof. The lenses have an anti-fog coating and 100% UVA and UVB protection.
- The mirrored lens reduces glare and maximizes visibility in the water
- The wide panoramic lens allows for extra peripheral vision
- Four nosepiece options for an adjustable fit for all face shapes and sizes
- Anti-fog coating, UVA and UVB protection
- The anti-fog coating may wear off after long-term use
No products found.
No products found.
Sable WaterOptics Flat Lens Prescription Swimming Goggles – Best for Prescription Swimming Goggles Racing
Sable WaterOptics Flat Lens Prescription Swimming Goggles are specifically designed for competitive swimming as they feature state-of-the-art spherical and flat lens technology for maximum performance.
While fairly expensive, the stylish-looking goggles have a super-seal fit with silicone-sealed eye sockets to prevent leaking during a race, and integrated permanent super anti-fog with hydrophilic technology on the inside of the lens allows for ultra-clear vision throughout the race.
The lenses are made with high-quality optical industry polycarbonate and feature flat lens technology that offers razor-sharp vision above and below the water. The lenses are also polarized to cut out any glare during open water swimming and they have a hydrophobic outer surface that sheds water easily to keep the lens clean at all times. The goggles come with four adjustable nose pieces that allow them to be customized for a perfect fit.
- Specifically designed for competitive racing
- State-of-the-art spherical and flat lens technology for maximum performance
- Interchangeable nose pieces for different face sizes
- Soft silicone circular sealed leak-proof gaskets around the eye socket allow for a customized fit
- Integrated permanent super anti-fog with hydrophilic technology prevents fogging
- The hydrophobic outer surface of the lens keeps the lens clean and clear
- These goggles come with a high price tag
TYR Corrective Optical Goggles – Best Budget-Friendly Prescription Swimming Goggles
Sleek, comfortable, and durable, TYR’s Corrective Optical Goggles are one of the market’s top budget prescription swimming goggles. These corrective optical goggles are available with interchangeable lenses that can be disassembled to mix and match for those swimmers who have a different prescription in each eye.
They feature optical rating poly-carbonate lenses and have comfortable, generic size eye sockets with thermal plastic rubber gaskets that provide comfort and leak-proof fit.
- The interchangeable lenses are ideal for swimmers with different RXs in each eye
- The thermal plastic rubber gaskets make for a very comfortable and leak-proof fit
- The old-school nose piece is quite hard and can cause rubbing if not adjusted correctly
No products found.
No products found.
Dr. B Barracuda Optical Swim Goggles – Best Prescription Swimming Goggles for Diopter Ranges
Dr. B Barracuda Optical Swim Goggles are a comfortable, simply designed pair of prescription swimming goggles with 13 prescription options (diopter strengths). The lenses are made from high-grade impact and scratch-resistant polycarbonate material and are available in clear or mirrored to protect the eyes from the glare of the water.
Patented rubber gaskets ensure a comfortable, leak-proof fit, and silicone straps are flexible and long-lasting. A bracket-and-strap system allows for the loose ends to be tucked in and interchangeable nose pieces offer a variety of sizes for all face shapes.
- Available in 13 prescription options (diopter strengths)
- They come with clear or mirror lenses for reduced brightness and glare
- The flexible silicone straps and easy-to-adjust side buckles make them easy to fit
- They have changeable nose pieces in three sizes that allow for a customized fit
- These are one of the most expensive pairs of prescription swimming goggles on the market
F&C Corrective Nearsighted Prescription Swim Goggles – Best Budget Prescription Swimming Goggles
Well-designed, sleek, and professional-looking, F&C Corrective Nearsighted Prescription Swim Goggles combine aesthetics, style, and function to create an excellent pair of prescription swimming goggles. The lenses are made from optical grade polycarbonate, designed to provide an undistorted view while swimming. They are curved and wide for a panoramic view and are coated with anti-glare, anti-fog, and anti-UV materials.
Silicone gaskets ensure a comfortable, leak-proof fit and a silicone strap and user-friendly buckle at the back make for easy adjustment in and out of the water. F&C Corrective Nearsighted Prescription Swim Goggles are available in various prescription strengths from -2 to -8 diopters and come with a pair of earplugs.
- The super-wide lenses provide you fantastic peripheral vision in the water
- The goggles are great for shortsighted swimmers
- They come with nose pieces so they can be customized to individual’s needs
- Great cushioning on the eye socket make them comfortable and leak-proof
- They have a super-stylish design
- The bridge of the goggles may be hard on the bridge of the nose
No products found.
No products found.
AIKOTOO Prescription Swimming Goggles – Best for Beginners
Specifically designed to tolerate the refractive ability of water, AIKOTOO Prescription Swimming Goggles have several comfort-enhancing features such as silicone straps that ensure a leak-proof fit; high-caliber silicone gaskets on the inside of the frame for maximum cushioning against the face; interchangeable nose pieces; and they are made from skin-friendly, non-allergenic materials such as silicone.
The lenses are made from impact-resistant and scratch-proof polycarbonate and have wide-angle vision capabilities. They are mirrored to protect against any glare from the sun and are coated in UVA, UVB, and anti-fog film.
The goggles are also mirror-coated with HD coating to maintain clarity of vision in the water. These prescription swimming goggles are available in a range of various prescription strengths from -1.5 to -6 diopters and come with a stylish storage bag, earplugs, and extra nose pieces.
- The frame is very comfortable and the soft silicone gaskets provide a leak-proof fit
- The silicone strap is very secure and helps the goggles to fit well on the face
- The lenses are coated with anti-fog layers on the interior and anti-glare and mirror coating on the exterior
- The lenses are scratch-proof and impact-resistant
- The goggles come with a stylish storage bag, extra nose pieces, and earplugs
- They are not great for outdoor use – better for indoor pool training
Mieny Mirrored Vanquisher 3.0 Swim Goggles – Best Prescription Swimming Goggles for Kids
The Mieny Mirrored Vanquisher 3.0 Swim Goggles are made for both adults and children and are designed for comfort. They have a cushioned sealed gasket around the lens that ensures a leak-free swimming experience.
They have silicone straps for easy-adjustment and durability, and mirrored lenses to reduce glare. The lenses are coated in UVA, UVB, and anti-fog film, and have a wide optical surface area for excellent underwater peripheral vision. The lenses are available in a range of prescription strengths from -1.5 to -7.0 diopters.
- The ergonomic design offers a great fit for kids and adults with small faces
- The flexible silicone straps allow for easy adjustment in the water
- Soft silicone circular sealed gaskets around the lenses help to prevent leaking
- They are mirror-coated with UVA, UVB, and anti-fog film to prevent fogging
- They are available in a range of prescription strengths from -1.5 to -7.0 diopters
- Not ideal for open water swimming
IST RX Prescription Swim Goggles – Best Custom Prescription Swimming Goggles
IST RX Prescription Swim Goggles are a well-made, affordable option for prescription swimming goggles. Made from hypoallergenic materials such as silicone and durable polycarbonate, the goggles’ optical rating polycarbonate lenses can be detached and changed to mix and match for those swimmers who have a different prescription in each eye.
The lenses are also coated with anti-glare, anti-UV, and anti-fog film for maximum vision and comfort in the water. Adjustable nose pieces provide a comfortable fit for all face shapes and sizes, and a durable silicone strap with a back clip offers easy adjustment. IST RX Prescription Swim Goggles are available in a range of prescription strengths from -1.5 to -7.0 diopters.
- The goggles are made from hypoallergenic materials which are great for swimmers with sensitive skin
- Both the frame and the lenses are scratch-resistant and shatterproof
- The goggles are customizable to suit individual’s needs with detachable and replaceable lenses, adjustable nose pieces, and a split silicone strap
- The lenses are coated with several anti-fog layers
- The lenses are available in a wide range of diopters
- The goggles come in a hard safety box to ensure a long life span
- The layers of anti-fog may irritate the eyes, so the goggles need to be rinsed out thoroughly after every use
EnzoDate Optical Swim Goggles – Best Prescription Swimming Goggles for Versatility
EnzoDate Optical Prescription Swim Goggles are a great choice of optically-enhanced goggles for both long sighted and shortsighted individuals. The flexible and durable goggles can be used in the pool and the open water and are made from optical-grade polycarbonate to ensure a long lifespan. Soft silicone gaskets around the eye sockets promise a snug and leak-free fit.
Both flexible and functional, these prescription swimming goggles are non-allergenic and skin-friendly and have interchangeable nose pieces that allow the goggles to be fitted to a variety of different face shapes and sizes. The lenses are coated in an anti-fog film to eliminate fogging, and UVA and UVB protective material to protect eyes from the sun while swimming outdoors.
EnzoDate Optical Prescription Swim Goggles come in a storage case with a pair of earplugs and are available in a range of prescription strengths from +1.0 to +8.0 for hyperopia and -1.0 to -8.0 for myopia and farsightedness.
- The goggles are available with lenses for both shortsighted and long sighted swimmers
- They are super versatile with three interchangeable nose pieces to fit faces of all sizes and shapes
- They can be used for both indoor and outdoor swimming
- The lenses are coated with anti-UV and anti-fog film
- They are made from non-allergenic materials so great for swimmers with sensitive skin
- They include a pair of earplugs and a storage case
- The nose bridge is not very flexible so some face shapes might have difficulty with a snug fit
Aguaphile Adult Prescription Swimming Goggles – Best Medium Budget Prescription Swimming Goggles
These are a great pair of prescription swimming goggles if you are looking for a pair you can wear for both outdoor and indoor swimming. They are made from hardy, durable materials and can withstand most outdoor conditions and the clear lens provides a wide-angle panoramic field of vision.
The lenses are made from durable polycarbonate, which renders them scratch-resistant and shatterproof, and the nose bridge of the goggles is flexible, allowing the goggles to fit most face shapes and sizes.
Soft cushioning around the eye socket provides a comfortable, leak-proof fit on the face and the lenses are coated with UVA and UVB protection against the sun, as well as anti-fog properties. The lenses are available across a wide range of diopters.
- These goggles are very durable and can be used both indoors and outdoors
- The clear lenses provide excellent vision capabilities
- The eye sockets are fitted with silicone for a comfortable, leak-proof fit
- The lenses are coated with anti-UV and anti-fog film
- The flexible nose bridge allows for easy adjustment for all face shapes
- Unconditional lifetime or replacement warranty
- They don’t come with interchangeable nose pieces, which limits the fitting
- They don’t come with a storage box
Speedo Junior Vanquisher Prescription Swimming Goggles – Best Prescription Swimming Goggles for Junior Swimmers
The Speedo Junior Vanquisher is a great pair of goggles for kids between the ages of six and 14 years to train within the pool. The low-profile design offers a comfortable, leak-proof fit and the small eye sockets fit snugly into the inner eye and provide excellent panoramic vision under the water.
The goggles are made with latex-free materials and come with four nose pieces for customizing the goggles to fit perfectly as your child grows. The lenses are made from PVC and are coated with anti-fog and anti-UV layers.
- Designed for children between the ages of six and 14
- The goggles have soft silicone seals around the eye sockets for maximum comfort
- Four nose pieces allow for easy adjustment and snug fitting on the face
- The clear lenses offer corrective and panoramic views under the water
- The lenses are coated with anti-UV and anti-fog layers
- These goggles are ideally suited to kids with small faces and children with wider faces might find it difficult to maintain a snug fit
A great pair of well-fitting, leak-proof, and clear vision prescription swimming goggles can make the world of a difference to your swimming experience if you are near or farsighted or suffer from myopia. Finding the perfect pair of goggles is not easy – it might take a few fittings and swims with several pairs before you find your perfect fit.
When you do find a pair that works for you, it’s a good idea to buy two pairs and use them alternatively as this will lengthen the lifespan of both pairs of goggles and keep your swimming experiences as pleasurable as possible.
A great pair of goggles can make the world of a difference to your swimming experience.
Mia Russell is currently the head swim coach at Aquasharks Swimming Academy in South Africa. She has worked as the head swim guide at SwimQuest Open Water Swimming Holidays in London and was previously a Swim Coach at Cybersmart Aquatics. She has a AIDA International Level 3 Freediving Certification, PADI Open Water Advanced Certificate, SSI Level 1 Free Diver Certificate and RYA Beach Lifeguard Certificate.