Did you know it’s not as hard as you think to get rid of that unsightly fat on your stomach and sides? One area that often becomes an issue is referred to as a muffin top, which is when you have fat that extends over the top of your pants to create a muffin-like appearance. If you’re trying to figure out how to get rid of muffin top, you will need to begin certain exercises and make some changes to your regular routine.
5 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Muffin Top
Candlestick dippers are thought to be one of the best and most effective exercises if you want to know how to get rid of muffin top quickly. It will workout your obliques and core abdominal muscles and it’s going to be an exercise you feel after the first set.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/bczcW7MTIYQ” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
This exercise is very easy to do and it’s known as being one of the best for removing muffin top if you incorporate it into your regular workout routine.
How to do it:
- You want to get down on your knees and keep your back straight and your abdomen tight. If being on your knees is uncomfortable, you can use a cushion as padding to protect them.
- Begin to straighten out your right leg so that it’s at your side and keep your knee straight during this move.
- Raise your hand so that it’s over your head and begin binding your fingers so that they are together. The first couple fingers should look like the pose from Charlie’s Angels.
- Bend to your left side from the waist and go as low as possible. The goal is to be parallel to the floor, although you might not get parallel on your first few attempts.
- Get back up so that you’re back in starting position.
- Do 15 of these dips on one side and then repeat the process for the other side.
While you’ve probably heard of the plank, the rolling plank is an excellent choice to help you’re looking for exercises to get rid of your muffin top. It’s easy to perform but since you’re moving you’ll be getting a decent cardio workout as well. Your entire midsection will be toned if you regularly perform rolling plank exercises so it’s great at getting rid of abdominal fat.
How to do it:
- Grab your yoga mat and enter the regular plank position. This means keep your abs tight and your arms straight. Your hands should be right underneath your shoulders for starting position.
- Roll over so that you’re on your left side and get into side plank position and then get back into regular plank position.
- You now will need to roll over to your right side and then get into side plank position before going back into a regular plank position.
- Alternate sides so that you’ve completed 10 rolls on both your right side and left side for a total of 20 rolls.
The butt lift is a classic exercise that’s going to workout more than just your muffin top. It will help tone your obliques as well as your lower abdomen. Your butt is also going to get a nice boost with this exercise, which makes sense given the name butt lift.
How to do it:
- You want to begin by lying down on your floor so that your back and feet are flat on the ground. Bend your knees to allow for your feet to become flat on the floor.
- Lift up your butt so that you have a straight line from your shoulders to your knees.
- Lower your body back down flat on the ground and repeat this exercise 20 times.
Sumo Squat with Alternating Leg Check
<iframe width=”695″ height=”391″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/bIqwkNpuHuA” frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen></iframe>
The Sumo Squat with Alternating Leg Check seems complicated at first, but it’s quickly going to become one of your favorite ways to get rid of muffin top.
What’s great about the sumo squat with alternating leg check is that it’s going to workout your obliques and it’s going to be noticeable just after the first few reps. It’s perfect for getting rid of muffin tops and will also help get rid of other back and side fat you’re dealing with. This exercise is like a side-crunch but in a standing position instead.
How to do it:
- Point your toes outward and keep your feet a little wider apart than normal shoulder-width.
- Put your hands in front of your chest and put your palms face out.
- Sit down so that your butt is in a squatting position and make it as deep as you can. During this movement, you want to ensure your chest stays lifted.
- Press out your knees so that they are lined up with your toes.
- Very slowly rise by using your weight and heels. As you come back up, squeeze your glute muscles together.
- Once you’re in the starting position, you want to lift your right knee and begin crunching down your obliques as you move your right elbow to meet the outside portion of your thigh.
- Your chest should stay lifted and your weight should be centered.
- Repeat this squat and then start the leg check. Do a left side leg check first and then alternate the sides for the next 30 seconds.
- Give yourself a 15 second rest break and begin the move again. Do this 10 to 15 times for maximum effectiveness.
An exercise that is going to workout your muffin top are bicycle crunches and it will help stubborn belly fat as well as strengthen your abs. Abdominal exercises are known to help tone your stomach and get rid of that stubborn belly fat. Bicycle crunches can be done almost anywhere so it’s a perfect exercise for busy lifestyles.
A member of the military is doing his daily bicycle crunches, which keeps his muffin top at bay and promotes abdominal strength. India Company – Academics – Oct. 20, 2015 by MCRD Parris Island, SC/ CC BY-NC 2.0
How to do it:
- Begin by lying on the floor and then lift both feet.
- Bend both knees so that your calves are parallel to the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head and support both your head and neck with your hands.
- Take your left knee and bring it forward towards your right elbow. While you’re doing this straighten out your right leg. Do not let your right leg hit the floor.
- Bring the right knee to your left elbow and straighten your left leg. Keep your left leg off of the floor.
- Alternate between right and left and do 2 or 3 minutes worth of movements alternating each time.
How to Get Rid of Muffin Top Through Dietary Changes
There are a lot of foods that will help lose your muffin top and it’s important to incorporate these foods regularly just as you would an exercise routine. Foods that aid in fat and weight loss are just as important as exercise. While there are a lot of foods out there that will help you if you’re wondering how to get rid of muffin top through dietary changes, we’ve compiled the top five.
Eat More Lemons
Lemons are an amazing fruit that will cleanse your liver and also clean out your gastrointestinal tract. These fruits are very high in vitamin C and will help your body break down toxic material inside your body. Breaking down toxic materials are going to aid in digestion, help get rid of bloat, and also allow you to have regular bowel movements. Lemons also help stimulate the liver which is critical to removing your muffin top.
Add Grapefruit Into Your Diet
Speaking of how to get rid of muffin top, have you had grapefruit anytime recently? Grapefruit is very important for detoxifying your body and works to boost the enzymes that aid in detoxification in your liver. The more of these enzymes that you have in your liver, the more toxins and carcinogens you’ll be able to get out of your body. There is a reason why the grapefruit diet existed and why people swear by grapefruit to help you burn fat and lose weight.
Snack on Apples
Apples are a very inexpensive and popular fruit that will help you lose weight due to them containing a substance called pectin. Pectin contains many health benefits and it’s viital for losing weight since it cleanses your gastrointestinal tract. This will allow you to have normal bowel movements and will get rid of bloat and toxins in your system. Apples also give your liver a break when it comes to trying to break down toxins and purify your system. They also are great at eliminating constipation and that also aids in weight loss and helps get rid of bloat due to less pressure on your liver.
Cook Mushrooms as a Dinner Side
While all mushrooms are going to help you get rid of your muffin top, Portobello mushrooms are specifically designed to help you lose the fat and drop the pounds. All varieties of mushrooms have compounds in them that regulate blood sugar levels, which are important when it comes to losing weight and reducing fat in your belly. If your blood sugar levels are regulated better, you’ll also be less hungry and have more energy.
Eat Tuna Weekly
One sure way if you’re wondering how to get rid of muffin top is to eat tuna. Tuna and other seafood is rich in omega-3 fatty acids among other essential vitamins and minerals. This seafood can be cooked or eaten raw and is very low in calories. Tuna is also a huge source of protein which is essential for burning fat and providing you with energy. It’s going to keep you feeling full so that you’ll eat less and lose fat.
How to Get Rid of Muffin Top Through Lifestyle Changes
Get More Fiber
If you want to lose weight fast and are curious as to how to get rid of muffin top, you need to add more fiber into your normal diet. Soluble fiber is great for getting rid of fat and can be found in fruits, beans, nuts, and oats. Fiber also helps you feel fuller for a longer period of time so you will be eating less throughout the day. If you consume less calories per day and exercise, you’ll notice that your body will quickly begin to shed the weight. There are many nutrients found in fibrous foods which are also important for boosting your energy and immune system
Sleep for 7 or 8 Hours Per Night
In order to eliminate your muffin top, you’re going to want to get plenty of sleep each night. The optimal amount of sleep is 7 or 8 hours per night. Not getting adequate sleep means that your cortisol levels are going to be high and cortisol leads to weight gain. Those without proper sleep have been shown to have more body fat and also weigh a lot more than those with good sleep habits. Diabetes and obesity are also linked to inadequate sleep.
Drink More Water
An easy answer for how to get rid of muffin top quickly involves you drinking a lot more water. You should drink plenty of water each day to help flush the toxins out of your body. Water is essential for keeping you hydrated and keeping your body functioning properly. If you drink adequate amounts of water you’ll also feel full and satiated which means you’ll eat less, take in less calories, and begin burning fat.
Drink Less Alcohol
Alcoholic drinks are just empty calories and sugar and will trigger your brain that you’re hungry. If you want to lose weight and get rid of your muffin top, stop drinking alcohol. Hurricanes by Phil Denton/ CC BY-SA 2.0
Drinking less alcohol is how to lose muffin top easily since alcohol is linked to both obesity and higher amounts of body fat. There is a lot of sugar found in alcohol and the more sugar you consume, the higher weight you’re likely to be. Most alcohol also contains high levels of calories which are empty calories due to them not being nutritious or filling. Drinking alcohol is going to make you feel hungry due to alcohol stimulating the part of your brain that helps you regulate your appetite, so the less you drink the less that part of your brain is triggered.
Reduce Overall Sugar Content
Lastly, you can get rid of your muffin top simply by cutting out or reducing your overall sugar intake. This includes sugars found in drinks, foods, sports drinks, and other items. It’s going to be easier to lose weight when you’re not sitting there filling up on added sugars. Sugars also cause health issues such as metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease.
Heart issues and metabolic issues are linked to increased body fat and slower metabolism. It’s important that you exercise regularly and stop consuming added sugars due to the toll it takes on the cardiovascular system. Eliminating added sugars will allow you to get rid of belly fat and that muffin top and it will also calm down your desires to eat.