Soccer Weight Training Exercises
Here are the exercise images and descriptions for this soccer weight training program.
Please be sure to read the disclaimer before attempting any of these exercises. And remember to warm up thoroughly before any fitness session.
- Lie face down on the floor with hands palm down, fingers pointing straight ahead, and aligned mid chest.
- Place hands slightly wider than shoulder width, and feet should be at hip width with toes on floor.
- Lower your entire body (legs, hips, trunk, and head) 4-8 inches from the floor.
- Return to the start position by extending at the elbows and pushing the body up.
- Start position: Lie back onto floor or bench with knees bent and hands behind head. Keep elbows back and out of sight. Head should be in a neutral position with a space between chin and chest.
- Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench. As you come up twist one shoulder towards the opposite knee.
- Return to start position and repeat with the other shoulder.
- Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Hyperextension or flexion of either may cause injury.
- Start position: Stand with feet hip width apart. Grasp DBs hang arms down at sides.
- Step forward 2-3 feet forming a 90 bend at the front hip and knee. DO NOT allow front knee to extend past the big toe - may cause injury.
- Pushing off front foot, return to start position. Continue with same leg or alternate as prescribed.
- Remember to keep head and back upright in a neutral position. Shoulders and hips should remain squared at all times.
- Watch for proper knee alignment - do not let front knee extend past big toe or deviate laterally or medially. Back knee should not come in contact with floor.
- Lie face down on floor with arms extended overhead. You may place a rolled towel under forehead to clear face from floor.
- Raise right arm and left leg 4-8 inches off floor.
- Lower and raise alternate opposite arm and leg.
- Remember to keep head and back in a neutral position. Shoulders and hips should remain squared throughout movement.
***Don't use the weight plate as pictured***
- Sit upright on bench and place hands hip width apart with fingers pointing forward. Place feet flat on opposite bench with legs straight.
- Slide glutes off bench with elbows slightly bent.
- Lower body by bending at elbows until elbows are at 90 degree angle. Return to start position.
- Stand behind box and place one foot on top of box, heel close to the closest edge.
- Push off the box and explode vertically to bring the other foot onto the box.
- Step back down with the foot you stepped on with first.
- Repeat always stepping up with same leg first (change legs on the next circuit).
Straight Leg Obliques
- Lie on your back and raise your legs straight into the air.
- Rotate your legs keeping them straight to the side and the then return to the starting position.
- Repeat to the other side.
Shoulder Press with Dip
- Start by holding a dumbell in each hand at shoulder level.
- Squat down to about parallel (but no further) and explode up to a standing position.
- Once you have squatted half way up then starting pressing the dumbells over your head.
- Use the momentum from your squat to propel the dumbells above your head. Remember to stay in control of the dumbells at all times.
For Soccer Players & Coaches of All Ages
Significantly improve your own (or your team's) performance and consistency on the pitch. My complete guide to professional-level soccer conditioning will show you how to beat the competition at any level.
See my complete guide to soccer conditioning >>